Quick Idli Premix recipe
Lets take a look on how we can meal prep some South Indian Idli batter. So next time when you are back home, hungry and need a quick solution? Find out below to find more on how to make an authentic south indian Idli recipe.
Servings: 4 person
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 1/2 cup thin poha (flattened rice)
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup curd
- 1 pinch baking soda or ENO
Prepping the Idli batter to eat fresh or to store as a premix
- Dry roast 1 cup of Urad dal and ½ cup thin Poha (Flattened rice).
- Blend this in a blender to fine powder. Remember to NOT add any water.
- Next dry roast 2 cups of rice flour on low flame.
- Combine the rice flour along with the ground Urad dal and Poha mixture.
- Next add 1 tsp salt and mix well.
Instant Idli mix is ready to store
- Transfer this mixture to an airtight container and can be used as needed for at-least 2 months.
Preparing tasty and soft Idli from the premix batter
- Take 1 cup of the prepared instant Idli mix.
- Add 1/4 cup curd and 1/2 cup water.
- Mix this well to form a thick paste. You can more add water only if needed, but the batter needs to be thick.
- Allow it to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Now add 1/4 tsp of ENO (fruit salt) or 1 pinch of baking soda and mix lightly.
- Grease the idli plate and pour this batter immediately in it.
- Steam this on medium flame for about 15 minutes. You can check if it is cooked well with the tip of a knife of with the back of your spoon. If it sticks on the surface, continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Lastly, its time to eat this soft Idli. This is usually had with coconut chutney and Sambhar.
- I have it sometimes with ketchup or phudina (mint) chutney. Give it a try and tell me which is better in the comments below.
Success! You're on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn't process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.